Each year throughout the United States there are approximately 400,000 home fires. These catastrophes result in more than 11,000 injuries to civilians, and more than 3,000 deaths to civilians.
This statistic can be frightening for you as a family caregiver to an aging parent, but fortunately, there are things that you can do to help reduce the risk that your senior will suffer a fire and the potential for serious consequences. One is to go through their home and identify potential dangers as well as make changes to their home to help keep them safer.
One room that you may not think of immediately when it comes to preventing fires in their home is the bathroom.
Use this checklist to help prevent fires in the bathroom of your parent’s home:
• Never leave electrical devices such as hair dryers or curlers unattended
• Be sure that any device that heats is kept away from flammable materials such as fabrics and paper
• Be sure that your parent’s electrical outlets are properly equipped with an emergency shutoff switch
• Avoid using candles in the bathroom
• If your parent wishes to use candles, never leave them unattended and consider placing them in the sink so that they are surrounded by non-flammable material and can easily be extinguished if they do happen to ignite
• If you use a space heater to warm the bathroom before your parent’s bath or shower, make sure that you unplug and remove it prior to your parent getting in the bath or shower
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. An in-home senior care services provider can fill any care gaps that might exist in your care routine, ensuring that your aging parent gets all of the care, support, and assistance that they need to stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout their later years.
This can be exceptionally beneficial to your senior, but also to you as their family caregiver. If you have limitations or challenges that keep you from being able to fulfill all of your aging parent’s needs, you live at a distance and are not able to be with your parent as frequently as you would want to be, or your schedule is such that you feel that your parent’s needs are not being fulfilled effectively, this care provider can step in to ensure that their needs are handled in the way that is right for them. This will give you peace of mind that they can enjoy the best quality of life possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home health care in Bayside, NY, please contact the caring staff at Family First Home Companions.
Serving all of Long Island. Call today: (631) 319-3961
- Upcoming CE Event This Week! - February 17, 2020
- Company News: Family First Offering a Continuing Education Series - January 22, 2020
- Family First Brings Smiles to The Residents at Island Nursing and Rehabilitation - December 11, 2019