Looking for Live-In Care at Home? Fill Out This Form To Talk to Our Friendly Staff.
get help with info & pricing
Looking for a Job?
Use Our Careers Page for Questions & Info
24/7 live-in care is an option that provides a professional caregiver or aide to stay in the home for a set period of time (days, weeks, months). The live-in caregiver uses a bedroom in the home to sleep at night while the care receiver sleeps and is up during the day to assist with meals, personal care, medications, walking, and general daily activities.
Benefits of 24/7 Live-In Care:
- Walking assistance and fall prevention
- A professional caregiver present at all times in case of an emergency
- Guidance and supervision for those who become disoriented from dementia
- Observation and reporting on changes in health status to family members
- Cognitive stimulation and physical exercise
- Post-hospitalization support and assistance with household chores, meal prep, medication reminders, bathing supervision, and general daily activities
- One-on-one attention to provide companionship and consolation
A live-in caregiver resides in the client’s home and provides consistent assistance with daily functions. They are trained to take on tasks like bathing, eating & toileting so that your loved one can have a more comfortable life.
A live-in caretaker will reside at your loved one’s house for 24-hours every day of the week and be there when they need help performing their basic Activities of Daily Living or if they show any signs of distress. This is especially helpful because a live-in caregiver and the senior have a more personal bond. The caregiver knows the daily routine and is a consistent presence in the home.
What is Live-In Home Care?
At Family First Home Companions, our Live-In Home Care services support the many details of everyday living:
- Personal Care – Our caregivers assist with all personal care such as grooming, bathing, eating, dressing, and toileting.
- Companion Care – As regular tasks become more difficult for your aging loved one, our caregivers can assist with cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, & more.
The Benefits of Live-In Home Care
Seniors that opt for live-in caregivers benefit from the presence of someone with them day and night. This decision is perfect for those who want to remain in their own homes, as they enjoy having a caregiver around all day long. Live-In Caregivers get along well because there are no odd schedules or work hours - it's just constant companionship!
- Lower Rate: Typically, live-in home care is less expensive than hourly home care.
- Easy Transitioning: When a senior is transitioning from hospital to home, a live-in caregiver makes the experience easier and less stressful by being available in the home 24/7.
- Communication: The senior’s family enjoys talking to one caregiver when they call for updates about their loved one’s health.
- Reliability: Live-in caregiver situations involve greater bonding between the care providers and their clients; they have in the past shown less turnover in caregivers than in live-out arrangements.
Live-In Home Care vs Hourly Home Care
When it comes to choosing in-home care for an elderly person, there are many options. Live-in and 24-hour caregivers may seem like the same terminology, but they vary in how much time is spent with the senior, depending on their care needs. Understanding these differences will help determine what type of live-in or hourly home care would be best suited for each individual's circumstances.
24-Hour Home Care (Hourly Home Care)
- To ensure the client is always taken care of, two or more caregivers take turns on shifts to be awake and available day and night.
- A trusted and alert caregiver is always awake to care for your loved one. By rotating caregivers, they are able to stay alert and ready when new situations arise with a senior who wanders at night, needs toileting assistance at night, or may become confused and just need some company and reassurance.
Live-In Home Care
- Live-in caregivers work around the clock to take care of their clients. The 8-hour break and sleeping bed is provided for them so they can rest when not working.
- With two scheduled caregivers, your senior loved one will find a deeper sense of comfort. The heightened familiarity with the elderly's favorite routines and moods helps to better manage dementia diagnoses as well.
- Live-In Home Care may not be the best choice for the senior who needs assistance at night with toileting, wandering, or confusion. The caregiver must be able to sleep, take breaks, and rest.
Does Medicare Pay for Live-In Home Care?
If your family member needs only assistance with homemaker or personal services, or companion care, Medicare will not cover the cost.
How Much Does Live-In Home Care Cost?
Live-In Care is often less expensive than hourly home care.
According to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Study, the average national median cost for companion care (classified as homemaker services) was $54,912 ANNUALLY for a home health aide and $53,768 for a homemaker. The hourly rate for a home health aide ranged from $17.00 in Louisiana to $33.00 in Minnesota. The median cost for an hourly caregiver is $24.00 per hour.
Genworth calculates average median rates based on 44 hours per week. If your loved one only requires the help of a companion for a few hours per day or week, your costs may be significantly lower than these estimates.
For a clearer picture of your potential costs, determine your loved one’s needs and contact Family First Home Companions to inquire about companion care providers and average costs in your area.
We absolutely could not be happier with Tina; she is a true blessing in our lives.
- Caren N.
I was extremely satisfied with your services. Patrice and Odette were very conscientious and made both my wife and mother-in-law very comfortable in their final days, and I would unhesitatingly recommend your services to anyone who is in need of a home health aide.
- Phil L.
We have really appreciated all the care that Danielle has provided for my mother and will truly miss her.
Thank you so much
- Melinda G.
We LOVE the expert care Mom is receiving from Vicky and Jackie! It is becoming a really well working team for her care. Each member brings a wonderful wealth of knowledge, experience, insight and patience. We appreciate it on behalf of Mom.
- Ann Marie L.
Companion Care Services:
Transportation to doctor appointments, incidental trips, etc.
One-on-one assistance at a facility, hospital, or assisted living
Family First Home Companions is a Long Island home care company. We provide senior companions to assist your loved ones with daily activities, dementia care and Alzheimer’s companions, and respite care to care for your loved ones on a short term basis.
We serve the following States, Cities, Zip Codes and Counties:
Long Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County, New York City (NYC), Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island