Preventing falls should be one of the primary focuses of your care efforts for your elderly parent. Each year millions of senior adults throughout the United States experience falls, and nearly 3 million of them end up in the emergency room seeking care and treatment for the injuries that they sustain from these falls. Keeping your aging parent safe from falls means evaluating their daily routine as well as their surroundings to ensure that they are taking the proper steps to stay safe. This starts outside of their home.
Some ways that you can help your parent prevent falls outside of their home include:
• Keep all walkways clear of debris such as grass clippings, leaves, and other objects that might cause your parent to slip or trip.
• Do not leave any lawn care implements including hoses, rakes, or sprinklers out where they could lead your parent to trip and fall.
• Park as close to the door as possible to minimize how far your parent needs to walk when they leave the home or arrive back home.
• Ensure that the steps leading up to the door are in good condition and are not loose or otherwise unreliable.
• Check handrails on the porch to ensure that they are strong, secure, and withstand your parent’s weight.
• Add extra lighting throughout the outdoor area so that your parent can avoid obstacles and ensure that they are walking in safe pathways during lower light situations.
• Consider adding benches in the yard and on the porch to provide a resting point for your loved one or a place to put objects that they are carrying so that they can regain their balance
How can home care help?
Starting home care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them during the course of your caregiver journey with them. An in-home senior care services provider can be in the home with your senior family member on a customized schedule that ensures that they get all the care, assistance, and support that they need, while also keeping you at the front of their care routine. You can feel confident that your loved one will be able to pursue a lifestyle that is safe, healthy, and comfortable while also maintaining as much independence and fulfillment as possible.
When it comes to protecting your parent from falls, this home care provider can help to identify potential hazards in the home and their routine and provide assistance and support during daily activities to address challenges and limitations so that they are able to avoid the potentially devastating consequences of these falls.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home health care in Huntington, NY, please contact the caring staff at Family First Home Companions.
Serving all of Long Island. Call today: (631) 319-3961
- Upcoming CE Event This Week! - February 17, 2020
- Company News: Family First Offering a Continuing Education Series - January 22, 2020
- Family First Brings Smiles to The Residents at Island Nursing and Rehabilitation - December 11, 2019