In-home Assistance for Seniors: Long Island, NY
One of the main reasons that our services are needed for older adults is for difficulties with standing and walking. Whether it’s assistance with ambulating, stepping into and out of a shower, or getting up from a sitting position, our caregivers are there to provide that arm and support to help our clients move around. Our goal is to prevent our clients from falling while helping them stay physically active.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Council on Aging, falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans. “Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence and generate enormous economic and personal costs” (https://www.ncoa.org/news/resources-for-reporters/get-the-facts/falls-prevention-facts/). Unfortunately, we have seen all too often what the consequences of a fall can have from being placed in a nursing home to losing the ability to walk and, very sadly, even death.
Falls are often easily preventable by making a few minor changes in and outside the home. Our company recently started offering free in-home safety assessments to our clients to help identify safety concerns in the home and to make recommendations for equipment, modifications, additional lighting, etc. Some simple changes in the home that make a huge impact when it comes to fall prevention include the following:
- Lighting: Increase lighting throughout the house, especially at the top and bottom of stairs. Ensure that lighting is readily available when getting up in the middle of the night.
- Stairs: Make sure there are two secure rails on all stairs.
- Bathrooms: Install grab bars in the tub/shower and near the toilet. Make sure they’re installed where your older loved one would actually use them. For even greater safety, consider using a shower chair and hand-held shower.
Lift chairs are a great way to help a person get up from a sitting position. In fact, we have had clients who would attest to their lift chair being a life-altering experience! Lift chairs are typically recliners with a mechanism built into them that lifts the back of the chair into an upright position allowing the person who is seated in it to be moved into an almost standing position. These mechanical chairs are comfortable and ideal for sitting for long periods of time while preventing the person from struggling to get up and out of the seat. Here is an article on how to choose the best lift chair for your loved one’s needs.
There are many products through medical equipment suppliers that can help maintain safety in the home. One of our favorite online medical supply companies is Parent Giving (www.parentgiving.com). They offer a variety of medical supplies for different medical conditions. You can find anything from diabetes supplies to grab bars to hygiene products. They also have a special section for daily living products which include items from arthritis aids to utensils and dinnerware.
- Upcoming CE Event This Week! - February 17, 2020
- Company News: Family First Offering a Continuing Education Series - January 22, 2020
- Family First Brings Smiles to The Residents at Island Nursing and Rehabilitation - December 11, 2019